Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Sacred Cow Barbecue: Part III

My friend (that was weird to type) Rhonda sent me this article and the writer (Kristi) was kind enough to let me copy and paste it.

As always my comments appear in italics. (sept for the Bible verses at the end)


Who's Right?

During the course of my life, I've interacted with many Christians of various persuasions. There have been the "conservative" and the "liberal" and anywhere inbetween. I'd say that a great percentage of the Christians I know believe in the Bible as God's Word and hold to basic orthodox beliefs about God the Trinity, the atonement, the second coming, the final judgment, etc. BUT I have become increasingly aware of the great differences in other areas, small or great.

Let's take group A. They love God, they love the Bible, and they study it diligently that they may apply it to their lives. They are probably also influenced by other sources, such as denominational precedents, books, teachers, the culture, etc.

Let's take group B. They love God, they love the Bible, and they study it diligently that they may apply it to their lives. They are probably also influenced by other sources, such as denominational precedents, books, teachers, the culture, etc.

Looks like they should be in unity, right? Wrong. Between groups A and B (and even individuals within those groups) you can be sure to find differences of belief in areas such as:
-Eternal security
-Women's attire (including pants, jewelry, and head coverings)
-Women's role in society and the church
-Music
-Dancing
-Sabbath keeping
-When the Tribulation will be
-Alcohol consumption
-Courtship/dating
-Education
-Food
-"Family planning"
-Probably more that I can't think of at present

Some may be neutral on one subject because they really don't consider it important or it doesn't affect them, while others will strongly argue their position one way or the other, even giving Scriptures to support it. On either side of an argument, you can find someone who is dogmatic and carnal, and you can find someone who is loving and spiritual.

I wonder what a new believer thinks when they start seeing all this division in the church. Granted, even in New Testament times there appear to have been disagreements about certain subjects (like eating meat offered to idols). But I wonder if there is more dichotomy now than ever. Of course I don't know. Is it a reflection of the end times or that the world has crept so much into the church? Has the culture affected the church more than the church has affected the culture? Can we always know the exact right or wrong on an issue? Does what I believe as right make every opposing view wrong? Unlikely.

Spot-on!!! I couldn't agree more. It would do Christians some good to read Romans 14 a bit more often then we do. I believe that the things she mentioned are really minor. I feel that we miss the major points (read: Ten Commandments) and try and hit the minor points. How do you think it looks to people who are not Christians? Nothing against standards, beliefs, and opinions (like this one) but people take things way to far (again, like this).

Just throwing out some food for thought. I guess the best way to know the truth is to keep connected with the Source of Truth, Jesus. Thank God for the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, Who is there to show us the way one step at a time! This morning I read this:

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strenghtened with might by His Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:14-19

What say you?

Great questions Kristi, thank you for allowing me to share it.


28 comments:

Rhonda said...

It is weird to say I am your friend? Or you just don't like to admit to it? Or it could be because we have only met in person twice. :)

J/K

Anna Joy said...

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. :)

Rhonda said...

BTW good post. But you already knew what I thought about it because I sent it to you. :)

Amber said...

So let us hear it Rhonda!! Please?? :)

Rhonda said...

I said "good post" Amber. What else do you want me to say? I didn't read it all again this morning. I didn't have a lot of time. I will read it again later and if I have anything of great interest to say (like that ever happens) I will let you know.

spyder-slayer™ said...

Figured I would get that question...
Notice that I said "My friend (that was weird to type)" and then added the "Rhonda". It was a self-degrading joke on the classic "you have friends?" saying. It had nothing to do with Rhonda. Now go back to reading...



O, and for the record, I have no problem admitting that Rhonda is my friend, (cause she is).

Rhonda said...

I just noticed something... No one commented on the actual post! That is pathetic. I just got around to reading it again. It is excellent. I couldn't help but think of an other post while I was reading this. There was a quote there that is sooo good.

"Anybody living a life that appears more "holy" than mine is a legalist and anybody using their Christian liberty in ways that I find "unbiblical" is a wretch."

That is so true among so many Christians. Yes, I know there are things that we need to "take at stand" on but are so many things that conscience issues that we need to give room for differing opinions. Let them be fully persuaded in THEIR own heart, not mine.
I would love to link that post here but I haven't a clue as to how to do that. If anyone wants to see it ask and I will email it.

Amber said...

I am going to see what people say before i give my opinion.
So Start commenting people!! :)
BTW Rhonda, i would like the link plz.

Rhonda said...

MaryBeth, what if everyone decided to wait until someone else commented? No one would ever comment. I commented so you don't have to be the first. So comment away. :)

Amber said...

The point, my Dear Rhonda, is not just to be the last... It is to see what points people make and see their point of view so i can make mine more clear. :) So comment away!! :)

Rhonda said...

So you can agree with the majority? ;) J/K I don't think anyone is going to take great exception to anything in the article so don't worry. Besides, I don't think anyone else is ever going to comment.

Amber said...

OK, Rhonda... I will tell you my opinion...
I agree totally with the Post and You. :)
Happy now?? LOL!!
OK, and i also agree that i don't think anyone else is going to comment either. :)

Stephanie Cosby said...

You've made me totally happy, MB. Thanks. ;)

Amber said...

OK.... Is that actually Steffy saying that, or is it Rhonda, but steffy left herself signed in?? :)

Rhonda said...

It was Rhonda. Sorry about that. I do that all the time.

Amber said...

That's Ok, i do that too... Mom likes to leave herself signed in. :)
I just thought that it was strange that Steph left a comment which makes no sense...
Not that she doesn't do that anyway... but oh well. :)

liberty said...

Thought provoking yet true. (That was about the post.)

Anna Joy said...

Wow, that was a lot of comments about nothing.

I thought the article was really good though.

Stepheny said...

wow, that was quite a argument there! lol :)

Steph
(from anna joy's blog)

Amber said...

OK... Who here is Wanting a new post??
ME!!!!
Will anyone Second this motion?? :)

Rhonda said...

A new post would be nice, MB. But maybe he is just saving up for a really big one. ;) JK

Anna Joy said...

Either that or he actually has a life. :)

jimmy said...

not likely.

Amber said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Anna Joy said...

LOL. And I suppose you do, jimmy? j/k

Rhonda said...

OK, Bret, now it is time for a new post! It is going on two months. ;)

spyder-slayer™ said...

ok ok i give in...

Rhonda said...

Thanks, Bret. ;)